The Classical Association of the Middle West and South sponsors two Manson A. Stewart Awards for primary-, middle-, and secondary-school teachers, as well as graduate and undergraduate students. Recipients must be members of CAMWS.
Teacher Training Awards: Designed to provide some financial assistance to those who wish to obtain certification to teach Latin at the primary through the secondary level, whether the specific courses are needed in Latin or in Education. The award is not intended to cover all costs of the training, and the size of the award varies according to the actual costs (primarily tuition and travel), the size of the committee's budget, and the number of applications. Previous awards have been as high as $2050. To apply for a Teacher Training award, please fill out this on-line application. The deadline for applications is Friday, January 30, 2015.
Travel Awards: Designed primarily to assist K-12 teachers with cash awards to offset the costs of attending CAMWS meetings, including the cost of a substitute teacher. Graduate students are also eligible for these award as well as undergraduates preparing for a teaching career. The award is not intended to cover all costs of the travel, and the size of the award varies according to the actual costs the travel will entail, the size of the committee's budget, and the number of applications. Awards for travel to annual meetings have ranged from $300 to $700; for travel to the Southern Section meeting, somewhat less. To apply for a Travel Award, please fill out this on-line application.
Deadline for grant applications to attend CAMWS-SS 2014 in Fredericksburg, VA is Monday, September 15, 2014.
Deadline for grant applications to attend the 2015 CAMWS meeting in Boulder, is Friday, January 30, 2015.
For questions about these awards, please contact the chair of the Subcommmittee for the Manson Stewart Teacher Training and Travel Awards, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The recipients of this award are announced at the annual business meeting.
Congratulations to the following recipients of Manson Stewart Travel Awards to attend CAMWS-SS 2014:
- Laura K Hatmaker (McClean School)
- Emily Master (Princeton University)
- Laura Brooke Rich (University of Texas at Austin)
Congratulations to the following recipients of Manson Stewart Teacher Training Awards for 2013-2014:
- Philip Cortese (St. Andrew's Episcopal School, Mississippi)
- David Blosser (The James Monroe High School, Virginia)
Congratulations to the following recipients of Manson Stewart Travel Awards to attend CAMWS 2014:
- Gena Goodman (University of Colorado-Boulder)
- Dannu Hutwohl (University of New Mexico )
- Clinton Kinkade (Estancia Valley Classical Academy, New Mexico)
- Amy Leonard (Dacula High School, Georgia)
- Giustina Monti (Florida State University)
- Cathleen M. O'Shea (Hendrickson High School, Texas)
- Patrick Owens (Wyoming Catholic College, Wyoming)
- Susan Thornton Rasmussen (Paideia High School, Washington)