CAMWS Code of Conduct at Meetings*
The Classical Association of the Middle West and South is an international organization, with representation in the United States and Canada, whose mission is to support and advance Classical Studies. Our meetings are open to members of CAMWS and to those interested in Classical Studies from around the globe. We are committed to providing a safe, productive, and welcoming environment for all who participate in our meetings. All participants, including but not limited to attendees, speakers, volunteers, exhibitors, CAMWS staff, service providers, and others present at the meeting, are expected to abide by this CAMWS Code of Conduct at Meetings. This Code applies to all CAMWS meetings, including those held jointly with other organizations. It should be noted that CAMWS supports, and has formally endorsed, the Statement on Professional Ethics of the Society for Classical Studies (https://classicalstudies.org/about/scs-statement-professional-ethics).
- All participants are to be treated with respect and consideration.
- Communication should be polite and courteous, critiquing ideas rather than individuals.
- Participants must be mindful of their surroundings and fellow participants. It is expected that participants will notify CAMWS officers if they notice a dangerous situation or someone in distress.
- Participants must respect the rules, policies, and laws of the meeting venue and location.
- Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form will not be tolerated.
- Physical or verbal abuse of any participants or others present at the meeting venue will not be tolerated.
- Examples of unacceptable behavior include but are not limited to: pejorative verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, national origin, disability, or physical appearance; the inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images, as well as sexual harassment of any kind; physical threats or stalking. Ad hominem attacks of any kind will not be tolerated.
- Recording still images, video, or audio of individuals, whether in their presentation or in any other venue of the conference, without the individual’s and the Association’s explicit permission is expressly forbidden.
- Unwarranted disruption of talks, presentations, meetings, or exhibitions.
- Anyone requested to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- CAMWS officers and security officers acting on behalf of CAMWS or the meeting venue may remove from the meeting, without warning or refund, any person who engages in unacceptable behavior.
- CAMWS reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future meeting.
Reporting Unacceptable Behavior
- If you are the subject of unacceptable behavior or have witnessed any such behavior, please immediately notify a CAMWS officer.
- Unacceptable behavior can be reported to any CAMWS officer on-site or at any time, during or after the meeting, by e-mailing the CAMWS President (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Secretary-Treasurer (email@example.com).
- Anyone experiencing or witnessing behavior that constitutes an immediate or serious threat to public safety should without delay contact local security or law enforcement.
*This document is adapted from the Ecological Society of America’s Code of Conduct for their events (https://www.esa.org/esa/code-of-conduct-for-esa-events/).
Approved by the CAMWS Executive Committee on January 20, 2019.
 Please note that presence at CAMWS meetings and events allows CAMWS to record still images, video, or audio of any attendee and include them on the CAMWS website, in other social media and in print publications.