FINANCE COMMITTEE CHAIR
The Chair of the Finance Committee (Charter: https://camws.org/fin-com-charter) directs the committee in assisting the Executive Committee in its oversight of CAMWS’s financial affairs, including CAMWS’s financial condition, financial planning, operational and capital budgeting and other significant financial matters involving CAMWS. In particular, the chair oversees the following duties of the committee:
- The Finance Committee’s primary responsibility is to work with the President and Secretary-Treasurer.
- The Finance Committee advises the Secretary-Treasurer in the preparation of the annual budget. The Finance Committee reviews and recommends to the Executive Committee for approval the proposed annual budget.
- The Finance Committee monitors the CAMWS investment portfolio in coordination with the Secretary-Treasurer. The Finance Committee reviews and makes recommendations to the Executive Committee regarding CAMWS’s investments in its endowment fund (including withdrawals), taking into consideration CAMWS’s short-term and long-term interests.
- The Finance Committee reviews and recommends to the Executive Committee for approval any capital expenditures for CAMWS in excess of $2,000.
- Each year in advance of the CAMWS Annual Meeting the Finance Committee provides the Executive Committee with an analytic report on CAMWS’s finances and the performance of CAMWS’s invested funds.
- In practice, the Finance Committee meets informally and when necessary, but at least once a year at the Committee Working Lunch at the Annual Meeting.
The Chair reports the committee’s findings and conclusions to the President, the Secretary-Treasurer, the Executive Committee and, where relevant, other bodies within the organization.
The Chair is an ex-officio member of the CAMWS Executive Committee (Charter: https://camws.org/exec-com-charter). Most of the business of the Executive Committee is conducted on line and all members are expected to participate fully in electronic conversations about issues and to cast votes promptly. The Executive Committee also traditionally meets on the Wednesday preceding the annual meeting.
Duties of the Chair
- Calls for and oversees votes on all matters to be decided by the Finance Committee.
- Arranges for meetings of the Finance Committee, and presides over the Committee Working Lunch at the CAMWS Annual Meeting.
- In the lead-up to the Annual Meeting, arranges for a conversation with the investment company in charge of the CAMWS endowment to be updated on the endowment’s performance.
- In the lead-up to the Annual Meeting, prepares a report on the CAMWS budget and investment portfolio for review by the Executive Committee and Finance Committee.
June or July:
The Finance Committee reviews and recommends to the Executive Committee for approval the proposed annual budget.
The Finance Committee holds its annual conversation with the investment company in charge of the CAMWS endowment.
In advance of the meeting of the Executive Committee the Chair of the Finance Committee prepares a written report on the CAMWS budget and investment portfolio.
The Chair leads the discuss at the meeting of the Finance Committee at the Committee Working Lunch at the CAMWS Annual Meeting (typically midday on Thursday).
The Chair or a representative gives a report to the membership at the annual Business Meeting.