CAMWS invites new K-12 teachers of Latin and ancient Greek to apply for the following awards, administered by the Subcommittee on the Manson Stewart Teacher Training and Travel Awards.
Student Loan Assistance for New Teachers Award
The Student Loan Assistance for New Teachers award, worth up to $1000.00 which may be awarded to one or more successful applicants, is designated to offset student loan debt for recent baccalaureate or M.A.T. recipients who are entering the teaching profession. This award is designed to ease the transition into employment and to enable young teachers to perform effectively despite financial constraints. Eligible candidates will be Latin teachers at the primary or secondary school level with student debt from a recent B.A. or M.A.T. degree. Applicants must be within the first five years of teaching and be teaching at least two sections of Latin or ancient Greek. Applicants must be members in good standing of CAMWS and must supply proof of student debt along with a letter of application, a CV providing information of education and relevant employment history, a statement (no more than 500 words) detailing the applicant’s accomplishments within the field of classics, a statement (500 words) detailing the applicant’s teaching aspirations at his or her teaching institution and a letter of recommendation from the school. This award can only be received once.
The award will be granted on both merit and need-based factors. Merit will be evaluated on the basis of the applicant’s graduation GPA, major field GPA, narratives of achievements in classics and teaching aspirations and the strength of the principal's recommendation. Need will be evaluated on the basis of total student debt. Preference will be given to an applicant with greater debt when other factors between applicants are evaluated equally.
Apply here on-line.
New Teacher Start-Up Funds Award
The New Teacher Start Up Funds Award is a start-up grant for new teachers designed to offset the costs of materials and supplies purchased for classroom instruction. Funds from the Award may be used to reimburse purchase of texts and research materials, classroom supplies, or classroom technology (including computer software or subscription fees for online materials) to be used in classroom instruction; the award may not be used for purchase of computer or tablet for personal use. The total amount of this award is $500 which may be awarded to one or more successful applicants. Eligible applicants are new primary and secondary school Latin teachers within the first five years of their profession. Applicants must be members in good standing of CAMWS and must submit a receipt of purchase for classroom materials, a letter of application that details the use of said materials for classroom instruction,and the educational goals to be met by classroom utilization of these materials, a letter of support from the principal, and a current CV providing information of education and relevant employment history. This award can only be received once.
- Award for reimbursement of pedagogical and classroom materials.
- May not include computer or tablet for personal use.
- Books, promotional materials, art supplies for class enrichment activities, software or database subscriptions with clear classroom applicability
- Must be for durable goods, not consumable items (e.g., refreshments for a party)
- Award will be give on basis of merit and need; merit will be evaluated on
- strength of narrative of how resources will be used (statement in letter of application uploaded as PDF or cut and paste)
- strength of educational goals to be met with resources (statement in letter of application uploaded as PDF or cut and paste)
- strength of the principal's recommendation.
Apply here on-line for Start-Up Funds.
Deadline for grant applications is January 30, 2021.
For questions about these awards, please contact the chair of the Subcommittee for the Manson Stewart Teacher Training and Travel Awards, at email@example.com.
The recipients of this award are announced at the annual business meeting.
Recipients of 2019-2020 Awards
- Emma Vanderpool (Trickum Middle School, GA)
- Evan R. V. Dutmer (Culver Academies, IN)
- Laura Briscoe (St. Pius X Catholic High School, GA)