Saturday, April 25, 2020
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: Roman Hair, with Janet Stephens, a stylist, salon owner and Roman hair archaeologist. Have you ever wondered how ancient Roman women dressed their hair into such elaborate, gravity defying styles? Join us for a HAIR RAISING lecture-demonstration featuring a live recreation of an ancient hairstyle and discussion of ancient artifacts and technology, the latin literature of grooming and hairdressing, the practical and social ramifications of hair in Roman daily life, anachronism in the intellectual history of ancient hairdressing and hair science.Please register here!
Sunday, April 26, 2020
- Excellence Through Classics Webinarr: Sacrifice and Ritual, with Darius Arya, a Roman archaeologist and director of the American Institute of Roman Culture in Rome. Please register here!
Monday, April 27, 2020
- Classics Department Diversity lecture: "Diversity and Domination at the Roman Dinner Table"
Nandini Pandey, Associate Professor of Classics, University of Wisconsin Madison (email@example.com)
- Remote Colloquium of Student Research at Washington University St. Louis
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: A Day at the Races! Come and explore chariot racing in the Circus Maximus with Martha Pealrman. We will look at both the area of the Circus Maximus today and try to reconstruct how it would have appeared in the 1st-3rd centuries CE. We will look at Roman art and architecture that depict the Circus Maximus, the charioteers, their horses, and the design of their chariots. Can you imagine spending a day at the races? Please register here!
Tuesday, April 28, 2020
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: So you want to learn Greek? Come start out with the basics of Greek Language with Dr. Generosa Sangco-Jackson, chair of the National Greek exam! We’ll start with an introduction to the language, learn a bit about the Greek alphabet and penmanship, then talk about resources for learning Greek. Students will get the most out of this if they have something to write with. Please register here!
Wednesday, April 29, 2020
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: Walls of Rome, with Darius Arya, a Roman archaeologist and director of the American Institute of Roman Culture in Rome. Please register here.
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: GreekSpeak, George O’Connor talks mythology and comics live on Instagram. In order to access the livestream, follow him on Instagram (thegeorgeoconnor), click on the live stories at the top of his page to view the Live stream. If you miss the live stream, access the content on George’s Instagram story for 24 hours following and on his Youtube channel (George Olympians).
Thursday, April 30, 2020
- Excellence Through Classics Webinar: Drink Like a Roman, Join to learn about the ancient Roman technology of wine making and then drink like a Roman. The Fabricatrix, Magistra Roy, will show you how to use some simple ancient Roman technology to experience wine (grape juice) like a Roman. Please register here. N.B. Students who want to join in the live experience, should acquire the following items ahead of time! Please register here. N.B.B. No alcohol is involved.
Tuesday, May 26 through Saturday, May 30, 2020
For additional events, please check out this Calendar managed by Amy Pistone.