Classical Association of the Middle West and South
Steering Committee on Awards and Scholarships Charter
This document sets forth the duties and responsibilities and governs the operations of the Steering Committee on Awards and Scholarships (the “Committee”) of the Classical Association of the Middle West and South (the “Association”).
The Committee is responsible for
a) coordinating the activities and initiatives of the eight subcommittees under its jurisdiction; and
b) bringing to the attention of the Executive Committees of the Association issues related to awards and scholarships that may arise from the subcommittees related to awards and scholarships.
Composition: The Committee shall consist of the chairpersons of the following subcommittees:
- Excavation Field School Awards;
- First Book Award;
- Kraft/CAMWS Teaching Awards;
- Ladislaus J. Bolchazy Award;
- School Awards;
- Semple, Grant, Benario Awards;
- Stewart Scholarships;
- Stewart Training, Travel Awards.
The Secretary-Treasurer shall be a member of the Committee ex officio.
Should the Executive Committee of the Association create new award/scholarship subcommittees or combine existing subcommittees, their chairs will automatically become members of the Steering Committee.
Chair: The Chair of the Committee shall be a member of the Executive Committee, appointed to a three-year term in accordance with the Association’s constitution. The Chair shall convene meetings, set agendas, and report on the Committee’s activities to the Executive Committee and other relevant officers and committees of the Association.
Meetings shall be held at least once per year at the Annual Meeting of the Association. Members may be permitted to attend that meeting by means of electronic media, if necessary. Additional meetings shall be held as necessary, either virtually or in person, to discuss relevant issues as they arise. A majority of members shall suffice as a quorum for taking action on the agenda.
The Chair of the Committee may invite non-Committee members from the Association to participate in meetings for informational purposes on a non-voting basis.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- To assist the subcommittees in solving issues arising from the application of their respective guidelines.
- To bring to the attention of the Executive Committee of the Association issues that involve the subcommittees, especially -but not limited to the financing of their respective awards.
- To solicit annual reports from the chairpersons of the subcommittees and to share common trends and issues that could be useful to the other subcommittees.
- To solicit nominations for the Service Award given to a person, not necessarily a member of CAMWS, who distinguished him/herself for supporting the cause of the Classics.
This Charter shall not be amended except upon approval by the Executive Committee.
Adopted by the Executive Committee on June 30, 2014.