The Immediate Past President serves as:
- Counselor to the President, assisting the president in every aspect of the position, as needed. In the event of a medical emergency vel sim., the past president should be ready to step into the presidential role pro tempore.
- An ex-officio member of the Program Committee (Charter: https://camws.org/organization/committees/program.php)
- A referee for the Graduate Student Paper Award (https://camws.org/awards/pres.php)
- Chair of the Nominating Committee (Charter: https://camws.org/organization/committees/nominating.php)
- An ex-officio member of the Executive Committee (Charter: https://camws.org/exec-com-charter). Most of the business of the Executive Committee is conducted on-line and all members are expected to participate fully in electronic conversations about issues and to cast votes promptly. The Executive Committee also traditionally meets on the Wednesday preceding the annual meeting.
- As an ex-officio member of the Publications Sub-Committee of the Executive Committee (https://camws.org/organization/committees/publications.php).