These three awards offer graduate students and teachers of Classics (Greek, Latin, Classical Art & Archaeology and Ancient History) at the pre-collegiate (primary, secondary, or high school) level the opportunity to advance research and/or pedagogical interests abroad in Athens, Rome, or other appropriate ancient site.
The Semple Award is a $4,500 fellowship for attending the summer session of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens. Award amounts will be applied toward and up to the program's cost of tuition, room, and board (airfare excluded).
The Mary A. Grant Award is a $5,000 fellowship for attending the summer session of the American Academy in Rome. Award amounts willbe applied toward and up to the program's cost of tuition, room, and board (airfare excluded).
The Janice and Herbert Benario Award is a $3,000 fellowship that the recipient may apply to the summer travel (not fieldwork or conference) program of his or her choice. Award amounts will be applied toward and up to the program's cost of tuition, room, and board (airfare excluded). The recipient of the Benario award must submit an itemized budget of program cost at the time of application.
To be eligible for a Semple, Grant, or Benario Award, one must be a current member of CAMWS who either:
- holds a teaching position in Greek or Latin in an elementary or secondary school within CAMWS territory (camws.org/about/map.php);
- is enrolled as a graduate student in a degree-granting Classics program within CAMWS territory (camws.org/about/map.php).
CAMWS members teaching at or students at a school outside CAMWS territory are eligible to apply for these awards if their schools are current institutional members of CAMWS (https://camws.org/about/im/index.php).
Priority for the Benario Award will be given to applicants interested in summer programs other than those of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens and the American Academy in Rome, which are normally funded by the Semple and Grant Awards.
An individual who wins a Semple Award or a Grant Award may not receive a Benario Award in the same year.
Please note that an individual cannot accept this award from CAMWS if he or she receives another award or scholarship for this summer travel and the combined amount of these awards would be more than the cost of the program and airfare..
The recipient of a Semple, Grant or Benario Award cannot also receive the CAMWS Excavation/Fieldschool Award in the same year.
On-line Application Form must be received by January 15, 2017.
Recipients of these awards are encouraged to accept them in person at the annual CAMWS business meeting.
Questions regarding the application may be directed to the Chair of the Semple, Grant and Benario subcommittee at email@example.com.
- Semple Award: Richard Zaleski (University of Chicago in Chicago, Illinois) to attend the Summer School at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens
- Mary A. Grant Award: Tara Ligon (Walnut Hills High School in Cincinnati, Ohio) to attend the Summer School at the American Academy in Rome
- Janice and Herbert Benario Award: April Spratley (Smithfield High School in Smithfield, Virginia) to attend the Symposium Cumaeum.