These three awards offer graduate students and teachers of Classics (Greek, Latin, Classical Art & Archaeology and Ancient History) at the pre-collegiate (primary, secondary, or high school) level the opportunity to advance research and/or pedagogical interests abroad in Athens, Rome, or other appropriate ancient site.
The Semple Award is a $4,500 fellowship for attending the summer session of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens.
The Mary A. Grant Award is a $5,000 fellowship for attending the summer session of the American Academy in Rome.
The Janice and Herbert Benario Award is a $3,000 fellowship that the recipient may apply to the summer travel (not fieldwork) program of his or her choice.
To be eligible for a Semple, Grant, or Benario Award, one must be a current member of CAMWS who either:
- holds a teaching position in Greek or Latin in an elementary or secondary school within CAMWS territory (camws.org/about/map.php); or
- is enrolled as a graduate student in a degree-granting Classics program within CAMWS territory (camws.org/about/map.php).
Priority for the Benario Award will be given to applicants interested in summer programs other than those of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens and the American Academy in Rome, which are normally funded by the Semple and Grant Awards.
An individual who wins a Semple Award or a Grant Award may not receive a Benario Award in the same year.
Please note that an individual cannot accept this award from CAMWS if he or she receives another award or scholarship for this summer travel and the combined amount of these awards would be more than the cost of the program.
The recipient of a Semple, Grant or Benario Award cannot also receive the CAMWS Excavation/Fieldschool Award in the same year.
On-line Application Form must be received by Friday, January 29, 2016.
Questions regarding the application may be directed to the Chair of the Semple, Grant and Benario subcommittee at email@example.com.
- Semple Award:Cynthia Swanson Lauren S. Rogers (Frederica Academy in Simons Island, Georgia) to attend the Summer School at the American School of Classical Studies at Athens
- Mary A. Grant Award: John McCluskey (Fenwick High Schook in Chicago, Illinois) to attend the Summer School at the American Academy in Rome
- Janice and Herbert Benario Award: Stacy Kenkeremath (Hayfield Secondary School, Alexandria, Virginia) to attend the Vergilian Society Tour entitled "Tunisia: Journey to a Magical Land"