EXCAVATION AND FIELDWORK AWARD SUBCOMMITTEE CHAIR
The Chair of the Subcommittee for the Excavation and Fieldwork Award (Charter: https://camws.org/field-com-charter) coordinates, with the aid of all committee members, the advertisement, deliberation, and report of the Excavation and Field School Award. The eligibility requirements, deadlines and criteria are found the Excavation and Field School Award page. The Chair is appointed by the President, typically for a three year term which can be renewed once.
Schedule of Duties for the Excavation and Field School Awards Subcommittee Chair
The Chair coordinate with committee members the advertisement of the awards through outreach to institutions with web pages and newsletters most likely to reach our target audience of students and faculty for applications. These organizations have to date included the list serves of CAMWS, AIA (organization wide as well as individual chapters), ASCSA, ACL, the Colorado Classics Association, the Alabama Classical Association, and the AIA Student Affairs Group; Facebook pages for CU Boulder, Eta Sigma Phi, the American Classical League, the Latin Teacher Exchange, Teaching Latin for Acquisition, and TLA Cambridge Latin.
- Contacts the recipients of the year’s award, and secures reports from their field experience
- Shares these reports in full with the committee and Secretary-Treasurer
- Sends a condensed version of these reports to the Newsletter Editor for publication. These reports are posted here on the Awards page: https://camws.org/awards/excav_prev.php
Closing date for online submission of applications
- Prepares the application files for review in consultation with the CAMWS office
- Shares the files and guidelines for scoring with all committee members, who get to work reviewing
- Coordinates time for an electronic committee meeting for shared deliberation, if necessary
Committee shares scores via email
Committee meets electronically to determine the year’s winners and alternates
- Informs the Secretary-Treasurer of the decision
- Contacts the winners, alternates and all other applicants to inform them of the year’s outcome.
By this date, the Chair has received confirmation from all recipients of their acceptance of award
Chair composes letter summarizing the year’s outcomes, submits to all committee members for review
Annual CAMWS Meeting
- Attends lunch (typically midday Thursday) with members of the Sub-Committee to review the year's work and make recommendatiions for the future
- Attends a meeting of the Steering Committee
- Attends the Business Meeting on Saturday morning and announces the winner(s) or delegates another member of the Sub-Committe to do so