113TH ANNUAL CAMWS MEETING, Kitchener, ONtario, April 5-8, 2017
Presenter Uploads: Presenters are invited to upload here handouts, Powerpoints, and other files related to their presentations. If you are a presenter, please consider this option seriously in order to save paper and insure that your materials will be available to all those attending your session and to other interested individuals. Uploaded materials will continue to be available indefinitely after the meeting. If you would like to upload files, please contact email@example.com for instructions.
Highlights of the meeting include:
- a special plenary panel on Wednesday evening entitled Grace Harriet Macurdy (1866-1946) and Her Impact on the Study of Women's History followed by a reception sponsored by the Women's Classical Caucus
- a plenary lecture on Thursday evening entitled “Playing With Time: Anachronism in Ancient Literature” by Peter Bing of the University of Waterloo, sponsored by the Waterloo Institute for Hellenistic Studies
- a Presidential panel on Ovid and Virgil.
- an address on Virgilian ecphrasis by CAMWS President Alden Smith at the Friday evening banquet
- Orator Jim May’s memorable ovationes
- Optional Saturday-Afternoon Excursions to experience the special flavors of southern Ontario (There are no Saturday afternoon paper sessions this year.)
- A GSIC panel on Finding a Job with a Graduate Degree in Classics
- A CPL panel on Testing Classical Languages and Culture in the 21st Century
- Fourteen Round-Table Discussions on topics like increasing diversity among Classics students, testing and assessment ancient Greek and Surviving and Thriving as a Small Classics Program
- GSIC Workshop on Understanding Graduate Student Needs on Campus and Beyond
- CPL Workshop on Students as Advocates
- Paideia Teacher Training in Active Latin Program
- and much, much more.
To register for the meeting, go to Meeting Registration Form.
The Conference Hotel will be the Holiday Inn Kitchener Waterloo Hotel and Conference Center. Conference Room Rate is $119.99 (Canadian) for 1 King Bed OR 2 Double Beds Per room, per night, based upon double occupancy plus applicable taxes. Complimentary hotel buffet breakfast for one person per room per day. Additional breakfasts are $5.00 (Canadian) plus taxes. Rooms at the Holiday Inn are now in short supply. The hotel asks CAMWS members to call or email Ann Hudson, their Corporate Sales Manager, to make a reservation. Her direct line is 519-894-8520. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Mention the group code CAM when you call. Anyone who cannot be accommodated at the Holiday Inn will be given a room in the Radisson, which is across the street. Directions for booking a room are also available on this pdf form. To ensure room type selection & availability, please book by March 25, 2017.
The Local Committee for CAMWS 2017 is pleased to offer an excursion to St. Jacob's Farmers' Market on Saturday afternoon, April 8, 2017 . Please note that there will be no paper sessions that afternoon. For more information about this excursion, go here. Paideia Institute is also offering a Saturday afternoon Teacher Training in Active Latin Program.
Travel and Tourist Information: This website, provided by the Department of Classics at the University of Waterloo, provides information about getting to Kitchener/Waterloo, lodging, restaurants and sites to see.
Airways Transit connects Toronto Pearson airport (YYZ) with the Kitchener-Waterloo area providing 24/7 door to door shared ride service. Travel from the airport to the hotel takes approximately 1 hour. The Local Committee has obtained a reduced single passenger fare of $59.00 one way, tax included for Toronto airport transfers. Advance reservations are required. Book online at: http://conferences.airwaystransit.com.
Enter booking code: CAMWS 2017 (enter exactly as shown).
By phone 24 hours: 1 800 691 3045 (within Canada only), or 519 886 2121.
Getting around in Kitchener-Waterloo: Please note that the Holiday Inn will provide complimentary shuttle service in Kitchener-Waterloo for CAMWS members attending the conference.
Panels and Workshops. List of abstracts for individual papers coming soon!
Round Table Discussion Topics (These are all scheduled for lunchtime on Thursday, April 6, 2017.)
Abstracts Arranged by Title
Apply for an eTA (required by the Canadian government for all non-US and non-Canadian citizens entering Canada).
Minutes of the 112th Business Meeting.These minutes need to be approved by the membership at the 113th Business meeting in Kitchener, on April 8, 2017. Members who have any corrections to this minutes are encouraged to contact the Secretary-Treasuer in advance of the meeting.